Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI)
The DARS Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) certification program is responsible for testing and certifying the skill level of individuals seeking to become certified interpreters in Texas.
The primary goal of the BEI certification program is to ensure that prospective interpreters are proficient in their ability to meaningfully and accurately comprehend, produce, and transform ASL to and from English.
Additional functions of the BEI program are to:
- Improve the quality of interpreter services for Texans who are deaf, hard of hearing or who are hearing by administering testing materials that are valid, reliable, and legally defensible. See the Validity FAQ page for more information.
- Protect the interests of consumers who use interpreter services by regulating the conduct of interpreters certified by the program. See the Complaint Process at BEI Manual, Chapter 1.14.
BEI Certifications, Fees, and Requirements for Application and Eligibility
- See BEI certificates for a list of certificates offered and their descriptions.
- See BEI eligibility requirements for who is eligible for BEI certification.
- See BEI fee schedule for fees associated with certification.
Applicants must submit a completed application form for the desired test and include:
- an applicable testing fee in the form of a check or money order;
- a copy of driver's license; and
- an official college transcript.
Or, applicants may apply for a test online using the BEI Registry.
Please contact the BEI office for further assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) Registry is Now Online!
Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) certificate holders and new candidates can now do the following online:
- apply for a BEI certification test;
- check the status of a BEI certification test application;
- enter Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and DHHS sponsored training taken; and
- verify certification status.